Wednesday, December 31, 2008

5 Smart Cooking Tips to Avoid Holiday Weight Gain!

Obesity is caused not only by the foods we eat but also the way we cook them! Yep, if you can cook foods smartly, you would be able to keep your weight under control. If you thought that you need to be a smart chef to learn how to cook healthily, you are dead wrong! In this article I will offer you five simple cooking tips which would get you up and running in no time!

1. You use stuffing for turkey, right, and probably you cook them along with the turkey! Okay, let me tell you a smart way to do the same thing but in a healthier way! When you cook your stuffing along with turkey, the whole food becomes very rich in calories. However, if you cook the stuffing separately, then you would be able to cut down on a lot of unnecessary calories!

2. Gravy is surely an essential part of meat. In fact I refuse to eat either chicken or turkey if I am not served sufficient gravy with it! But if you pass the gravy through a skimmer before serving it, your gravy would have fewer calories than otherwise!

3. Pecan pies might be tasty but not at all good for someone who is looking forward to losing some pounds during the holiday season, or rather keep their weight under control. Instead of pecan pies, why not try apple pies which are no less delicious and at the same time won't make you fat! If you don't like the taste of apple pies, you can always top them with low-fat or fat-free yogurt!

4. I make sure to monitor not only my own food intake but also that of my friends. Whenever they come to my house for snacking, I serve them pretzels and snacks which are low on fat. I avoid serving chips and doodles as they are high on calories! Whenever I host a party, I make sure to have fresh fruits and vegetables available for party guests at all times!

As a matter of fact, most people hate eating raw vegetables, so I steam them and use lemon juice as well as several kinds of flavored herbs as toping before serving them! This much I can guarantee that if you ever attend any of my parties, you won't gain any extra weight!

5.Sugar candies and sugary candied yams are a strict no-no, especially if you don't want to end up with a huge fat belly at the end of the holiday season! I have found that potatoes, when eaten either in baked or roasted form, offer a much better and healthier option than those candies!

Keep in mind that it is a lot easier to put on extra weight than lose it. A little discretion on your part would ensure that you never put any unnecessary weight on yourself and always stay fit!

No comments:

Post a Comment